[hipl-dev] Re: [Branch ~hipl-core/hipl/trunk] Rev 5952: Require network and local filesystem to be initialized in init scripts.

  • From: Miika Komu <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:03:50 +0300

Hi,

On 06/24/2011 03:12 PM, David Martin wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Miika Komu<mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On 06/08/2011 04:16 PM, David Martin wrote:

- we do use syslog for logging so this should be kept in

Strictly speaking, syslog should be excluded because it's possible to do
remote syslog. A potential problem is that I haven't tested what happens if
you start hipd while syslog is not running yet. According to
lib/core/debug.c:hip_vlog() always reopens the syslog channel and
HIP_DEBUG/ERROR/etc do not have any return values, so I think this should
work but please try this out and confirm this.

I just talked to Fahad about this and it seems to be like this:
As long as syslog is not running we won't have any logged output,
neither to console nor somewhere else (when hipd is running in
background mode of course).
As soon as syslog starts output will be logged again.

So I guess the question is the following: do we want to have logged
output in any case so we start the daemons after syslog or do we not
care and start regardless of it?

my two cents are for starting regardless of whether syslog is running or not. If the user does not want to read logs, then it is his own decision (or maybe he wants to run on foreground).