Sunday Lessons Learned

  • From: "Tom Cassetta" <cassetta@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hhsc1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 20:30:32 -0400

Sunday Lessons LearnedGood Evening Everybody,
I thought I would take a moment and share with everybody a few situations I
encountered this past Sunday.  It was a typical NE wind day for us on Harris
Hill.  There was strong sink in the pattern and the rotor was fairly strong as
we were landing to the North.  I was flying with a student in the 2-33 and we
were doing pattern tows to help become more familiar with the conditions of the
day.  A few things happened on that flight that I thought all of us could learn
from.

The first incident was when an ASK-21 did a relatively close pass across the
front of the 2-33 while we were working a thermal.  The pilot was obviously not
attempting to get into the thermal, there only intent was to do a fairly
aggressive pass in front us (maybe for the pleasure of the passenger).  I would
just like to clarify, that at no time should a pilot perform a pass near or
around another pilot without prior communication.  Not only is it poor form, it
can be dangerous as well.

The second incident happened just minutes later.  As the student and I were
preparing to land, we completed our pre-landing checklist over the IP and began
our downwind leg.  As we were abeam our touchdown point, the same ASK-21 pilot
(as I pointed out above) cut us off in the pattern.  The ASK-21 pilot simply
entered the pattern on a base leg without ever seeing our position.  As the
conditions were somewhat turbulent at the end of the runway, I elected to turn
away from the downwind and head out into the valley.  As it turns out, the
student and I had to use the auxiliary strip in the valley.  First and
foremost, please fly an appropriate pattern.  The reason for this is simple.
It allows other pilots the opportunity to plan there own entry into the
pattern.  It also allows yourself the best opportunity to make a successful
landing.

Please feel free to call me if anybody has any further questions or comments.
Also, anybody who would like to improve upon there pattern entry and execution
I would be happy to fly with you and share my thoughts.

Have a great week.

Tom