Re: Radios at HHSC

  • From: Keith Beardslee <kbeardslee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hhsc1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 16:21:04 -0500

I agree with WH that radios (panel mounts or handheld) should be in all gliders flown at Harris Hill. They might not be used in transmit mode very often but it would be nice to be able to contact another pilot or HHSC ground if bad things were developing. Even if the radios were only receivers with no transmit capability, they would be useful for safety alerts or recall notices.

Keith Beardslee

On Dec 2, 2009, at 1:06 PM, WH wrote:

During the recent IVSM event there was no requirement for contestants to have/use radios while airborne. On one day when I volunteered for Cash duty, we received a sequence of three increasingly strident calls from KELM that "our" gliders were thermalling low in the E-W corridor. Would we please get them out of there?

We issued numerous radio calls, in vain. None of the contestants involved were using radios. Someone even suggested sending the tow plane out to "corral" the wayward gliders toward safer airspace. Giddyup . . .

Use of radios should be required at all HHSC-hosted contest/regatta events.

Best advice when flying in close proximity to other aircraft, especially when converging into a landing zone, "Even if the other guy appears to be doing everything right, don't assume that he sees you - or that he can read your mind."

-h

- - - - - - - - - - - - - To send a message to all HHSC subscribers, simply address an e-mail to "hhsc1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx". This list is not totally private, as web-searchable archives remain on-line indefinitely. For e-mail address changes or deletion from this e- mail list, contact "webmaster[at_sign]harrishillsoaring.org". Also, see the HHSC calendar at http://www.calsnet.net/hhsc