Passenger Safety

  • From: N2319N@xxxxxxx
  • To: hhsc1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:08:20 EDT

Fellow Fliers,

Last Saturday's HHSC meeting saw an excellent presentation on improving the
safety of passengers at Harris Hill. This is a very important issue and d
eserves  our full attention. My understanding of the proposal made last
Saturday is
that  by individually escorting passengers to and from a waiting area near
the Flight  Center and staging them north of the taxiway potentially dangerous
interactions  with the tow planes will be avoided.

The new proposal sparked some lively discussion. I believe that two of the
concerns that were raised are valid and require further consideration.

(1) A number of members felt that, with the current level of staffing,
providing escorts was not realistic, since this responsibility would fall
heavily
on the log keeper who can easily be totally involved with his basic  function
on a busy day. Several individuals pointed out that the elimination of  the
ground supervisor position has already put stress on ground operations and  the
addition of a new task, though well intended, is not realistic.

(2) It appeared that the new proposal envisioned having passengers waiting
near the runway, north of the tow plane hangar taxiway. Some present felt that
this was not a move that would enhance safety. It was felt that keeping
passengers to the south of the taxiway behind the hook-up line, as is presently

done, reduces the chances of gliders or tow planes being involved with
passengers in a conflict.
It is easy to criticize any new proposal. What  follows is a modified
proposal that (a) attempts to keep the core idea of  improving safety by
positive
separation of passengers and tow planes, but (b)  answers the concerns that
have
been expressed about realistic staffing levels.

The key idea behind the modified proposal is that ESCORTING TOWPLANES
REQUIRES SIGNIFICANTLY LESS STAFF THAN ESCORTING PASSENGERS. I do not have the
exact statistics at my fingertips, but it seems reasonable that 10 passengers
cross the taxiway for every towplane that refuels.  In the modified plan
(please
consult the attached diagram) passengers (and their accompanying family  and
friends) would make their own way to a staging area south of the towplane
taxiway using a walkway clearly defined by posts and ropes.  The path would
cross the taxiway at a point marked with two painted lines.

Separation from towplanes would be assured by controlling the transit of
towplanes to the refueling area.  NO TOWPILOT WOULD USE THE TAXIWAY FOR  ENTRY
OR
EXIT UNLESS HE HAS INFORMED THE LOG KEEPER OF HIS NEED TO REFUEL AND  THE LOG
KEEPER HAS ASSIGNED ONE OR POSSIBLY TWO HHSC MEMBERS (if necessary  himself
included) TO STOP PASSEGERS FROM CROSSING THE TAXIWAY.

I believe this scheme has a number of advantages:

(1) It can be implemented with the present level of staffing, even on busy
days, as those HHSC members involved are close at hand (30 to 50 feet away) and
 are needed relatively infrequently.
(2) Very clear GO/NO GO decisions are  involved.  The tow plane pilot does
not taxi until he sees HHSC members are  in place controlling passengers at the
taxiway/ rope path intersection.
(3)  Briefing passengers for the trip to the launch is simple and
straightforward,  “Follow the path marked by the ropes and the markings on the
taxiway to
where  the gliders are being loaded.  Do not go outside the ropes unless
instructed to do so by one of our members.”
(4) Briefing passengers for the  return trip is also simple, “ Return the way
you came.”  Passengers,  relatives, and friends can return to the Flight
Center at any time they wish  without the need for individual escorts.
(5) The cash person can brief  passengers on how to get to the flight line
without having to leave the  office.  At present something like this is often
needed, “You see that guy  down there with the clip board.  No, not that guy …”
(6) Passengers are  staged south of the taxiway behind the hook-up line in a
safe area.   Passengers completing a flight are directed back to the
flightline staging area  by their pilot.  They are instructed to walk behind
traffic
preparing for  take-off.

Obviously it will be necessary to make sure passengers stay within the
marked walkway by continual vigilance.  It is not intended that the use of  a
self-directed walkway should relieve HHSC members from the need to continually
monitor the situation on the field.  However, the general concensus is that
the
vast majority of our customers are amenable to direction and only require a
clear idea of where they are supposed to go.

Respectfully submitted for consideration,     Martin  Green

Home.

JPEG image