FW: Sigma Xi Lectures

  • From: "Webb, James E Dr" <WebbJE@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hhsc1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:31:38 -0400

HHSC members,
Given our community interest in meteorology and science, I thought many
of you might find this lecture interesting.  Dr. Coch is a distinguished
lecturer for Sigma Xi.  Please reply if you have any questions.
Jim
James Webb
Research Associate
Corning Incorporated
Science and Technology
SP-FR-04
Corning, NY  14830

v 607-974-1890
f 607-974-2166

 Public Lecture: "Are America's Beaches All Washed Up?"

Who: Prof. Nicholas Coch, Queens College, City University of New York

When: Thursday, May 11th, 2006, 7:30-9 PM

Where: Sullivan Park Research Center - Innovation Hall Auditorium

This lecture is open to the public (Ages 9+). For more information
contact Kevin Gahagan, 248-1165. Parking on the ellipse opens at 7:15
pm.

Abstract (Are America's Beaches All Washed Up?): Extensive coastal
development, lack of hurricane danger perception, modification of
shorelines with engineering structures and a rising sea level have
increased the danger to coastal inhabitants and their structures. This
talk describes how coastal systems work and evolve naturally as well as
how anthropogenic and natural changes are causing problems on our
coasts. Major problems will occur as we continue to build fixed
structures on a moving shoreline. What are our options?

About the Speaker: Nick Coch received his Ph.D. from Yale University in
1965 and is a professor of geology at Queens College, CUNY. He has
published studies in coastal and estuarine geology, and in lunar
sedimentation, as a principal investigator in the NASA Lunar Program. He
is especially interested in the causes of hurricane destruction and in
damage mitigation, and has conducted ground and aerial studies of a
number of major recent hurricanes. He is an expert on northern
hurricanes and is a consultant to the New York City and State Emergency
Management organizations as well as the insurance and risk management
industry. His "Forensic Hurricanology" studies utilize present research,
as well as historical records, to reconstruct the wind fields of the
17th-19th century hurricanes. His last study produced a dynamic computer
model of the great 1635 "colonial" hurricane, that nearly wiped out
early English settlements in New England.