2008 Cross Country Instruction

  • From: "timwelles" <timwelles@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hhsc1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 21:41:30 -0400

2008 HHSC Cross Country Instruction

In 2008 we will continue the approach to cross country instruction we
used in 2007, which seemed to work well as we logged 22 cross country
instruction flights that covered 2650 miles over 69.5 hours.

Our goal is to motivate more HHSC members to fly cross country on their
own so more of us can enjoy this wonderful experience!

This year the HHSC Cross Country Instructors will be:

Kai Gertsen                 585 533-2366
<mailto:kicrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> kicrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Roy McMaster 607 734-4307
<mailto:rmcmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx> rmcmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Dave Welles               607 562-8115
<mailto:Welles.David@xxxxxxxxxx> dwelles2@xxxxxxxxxxx

Tim Welles                 607 739-3140
<mailto:timwelles@xxxxxxxxxx> timwelles@xxxxxxxxxx

Each Saturday, one of the above instructors will be scheduled for the
entire day.  Anyone interested in cross country instruction on a given
Saturday, should call the scheduled instructor and make an appointment.
First come, first serve will be the selection rule.

To repeat, cross country instruction will be given on Saturdays by Prior
Appointment! If no one calls us, we will attempt to contact some lucky
member ourselves, but it is better if it works the other way around.

If conditions are weak on a scheduled Saturday, cross country techniques
may be practiced locally.  In the case that flying is not possible, we
will attempt to reschedule for Sunday, or perhaps during the week.

Please ignore the April 2008 schedule issued by our hard working duty
scheduler, Ron Waclawik.  Through no fault of Ron's, it is incorrect.
The actual April schedule is as follows:

            5-Apr              Kai Gertsen

            12-Apr            Tim Welles

            19-Apr            Roy McMaster

            26-Apr            Dave Welles

As preparation for getting the most out of your cross country soaring
experience, I highly recommend reading Kai Gertsen's writeups
"Introduction to Cross Country" and "Off-Airport Landings", both of
which are available on the HHSC website.  I suggest focusing on the
"Efficient Thermaling"  section (pp. 20-24, "Introduction to Cross
Country") and learning how to apply these techniques while flying
locally.

Let's all hope for great soaring weather on every Saturday!

Tim Welles

April 1, 2008

GIF image