[HFbeacons] Re: VE3IIM/B 28296.7

  • From: Ian Baines <va3kah@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hfbeacons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 13:20:17 -0500

Thanks for the honourable mention KEITH. Sorry to hear about the lake effect snow.
I’m down in Florida and I copied my own beacon this morning. It seems that we are having regular E skip north-south
How do you know that it is scatter? I only ask because I’m never certain what the propagation is when somebody reports hearing the beacon.
73IanVA3KAH

On Jan 3, 2024, at 11:57 AM, William Hibbert <wkhibbert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi. Keith, WB2VUO at the home station for a change. My quiet mobile spot is getting hammered with lake effect snow, so I listened for VE3IIM/b ffom home. I can copy the beacon here near Buffalo on scatter, runnjng from 419 to 539 with QSB. I copy tge signal on all 3 of my 10 meter antennas, a ground-mounted Hustler 4BTV, an iMax 2000 5/8-wave vertical up 12 feet and a Cobweb up 30 feet. The signal sounds great considering it's making it here on scatter.
I am also hearing VA3KAH/b, also on scatter. Not surprising as the paths are similar!
73, Keith, WB2VUO in Amherst, NYGrid: FN02ox
On Wed, Jan 3, 2024, 11:28 ac5jm @ aol . com <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Weird.  I found you on RBN.  DF2CK heard you less than 2 hours ago- VE3IIM/b.-Jerry

On Wednesday, January 3, 2024 at 07:45:21 AM CST, Tim Smith <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

..No Jerry, no changes here. It is quite amazing that my beacon can be so strong at many different locations, but nothing is showing up on the RBN. The CW is clean, proper spacing etc.
Tim..
On Wednesday, January 3, 2024 at 08:26:50 a.m. EST, ac5jm <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Perhaps you discovered something affecting propagation from your locality?  Is there a new structure or overhead wires near by causing multi path reflections or blocking the signal?  Or has your ERP dropped for some reason? Has your antenna changed orientation?  Also there are more KiWi receivers than RBN skimmers I think.    Just random ideas.                                     Jerry, AC5JM
Sent from my iPhone
On Jan 2, 2024, at 6:52 PM, Tim Smith <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 ..Thanks Bob. I get the search for "/B", etc. What I am wondering is why I am heard on so many kiwi receivers, but not many on the RBN. I checked a friend's beacon (VE3RIP/B 28119.4) and Larry has many hits today. If you look on the RBN at my hits today, there is a period of no activity at all. But..I was hearing myself on all these on line receivers at those times..Odd..
Tim..
On Tuesday, January 2, 2024 at 07:46:03 p.m. EST, Bob Coomler <w7swltucson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Tim,  It sounds like a similar situation I recently had  when changing equipment.  If you ask RBN for VE3IIM it will look for that.  If you ask it for VE3IIM/B, it will look for that.   It won't do soft/fuzzy searches.  I just did a quick RBN search using VE3IIM/B and you are being well heard from Hawaii to Germany!
73,Bob W7SWL

On Tue, Jan 2, 2024 at 3:59 PM Tim Smith <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a question regarding the RBN. Today (Jan2) I have very few hits on the RBN. I understand propagation, so I don't believe that really is the concern. I have listened on the KIWI receivers all around the world, and my beacon is being heard, but does not show up on the RBN.Anyone have an idea about this?Thanks..TimVE3IIM