[HFbeacons] VE1VDM WSPR Beacon This Morning

  • From: "Wm. Keith Hibbert" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "wkhibbert" for DMARC)
  • To: hfbeacons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, 10mprop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 16:17:40 +0000

Hi all, Keith, WB2VUO in Amherst, NY.

After reading Vernon, VE1VDM's post on his multi-frequency, multi-mode beaconing, I set up the spare rig on 10 meter WSPR. The rig here is the FT-817 at 1 watt, a 3/2-wave sloping doublet and WSPR software on an old laptop.  The nature of WSPR means that I not only copy the traffic, but I am beaconing on the same rig.

Vernon's signal from Grid FN85 was in here all morning, TX'ing on the 10's. Between 1350Z and 1510Z, I copied his signal well above the noise, signals running -20dB to -24dB.

In addition to copying VE1VDM, I also have a good copy of W3HH (EL89, 5 watts), AD0MO (EM48, 5 watts), KC5LT (EM86, 1 watt) and WD4INS (EM67, 200 mW).  The WSPR mode is designed to be copied to, or below the noise, and I have copied stations down to -30dB. Signal reports are referenced to the total noise level in the 3000 hz receiver bandpass).  For an overview of WSPR beacons, check out WSPR Spots at www.wsprnet.org.  Lots of propagation studies and reports over there!

73, Keith, WB2VUO

Amherst, NY: Grid FN02ox

Currently running WSPR on 28.1246 MHz with 1 watt