[HFbeacons] Re: HTX-100 Problem

  • From: "W. Keith Hibbert" <wkhibbert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hfbeacons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 11:52:15 -0500

Hi Howie, Keith here in Amherst.

Great price on the HTX-100, I never found one under $40. Now, as for the flashing display...

Back when you could expect to find someone behind the counter at Radio Shack that ACTUALLY knew something about their line (or was a licensed ham), the flashing display issue came up. KF2JC was at the Brockport store and he told us at a club meeting that static could make the controller board go weird. Resetting it would clear the problem up.

I had it happen to the mobile a couple of times over the years, the contacts for the CPU reset were behind the main tuning knob if I remember right. It tended to be a dry Winter air problem for me. The rig was on the hump near the heater fan for the floor in the truck.

I also ran on on NQ2RP for 5 years, different rig, in the shack on a UPS, no problems there...

73, Keith, WB2VUO

On 02/22/2014 21:37, Howie AC4DJ wrote:
Good evening to all,

I just picked up an HTX-100 for 5.00 at a yard sale. Radio powers up but
keeps flashing the frequency. None of the
front buttons wor including the requency dial. However, if I set the
transmit switch on the front panel to TX it puts out about 27 watts on
CW so
I know the finals are ok without a keyer hooked up.. With the flashing
display it will not transmit in any mode. All switches are set to normal
so not a problem
having the switches in the wrong position which can set a blinking
display if power is lost.

My current beacon is using the same HTX-100 for the past 15 years and
still going without any problems.. I do have another working 100 for
back-up.

I have read that this radio has had some bad caps, but which one ? I
looked over everything with a magnifying glass after pulling
the front cover and cannot see any bad caps by visual inspection.(
swollen or leaking )

This seems to be a common problem with some of these radios and doing a
Google search and never comes up with a solution.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem and what was the fix ? For 5.00
I could not go wrong as I know the transmit
works so have replacement final  parts if no solution, as the output
transistor has been out of production for years now.

Thanks Howie AC4DJ 28.273.2