[HFbeacons] Re: Beacons heard in the Detroit area on 22-Dec-13

  • From: Charles Cassidy <cactuscharlie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hfbeacons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 15:51:39 -0700

Well Marc, I would like to take credit for the work on that beacon, but if you will look on my QRZ.com page as well as the page for WB5DYG, Ron, you will see the "rest of the story" about Ron's beacon. The only thing I can contribute in terms of stability is the fan cooled PS in my barn. It is rated 15A; so it doesn't even know the 3W CB radio is on it! Just found an ancient Pace 123A at Goodwill, but didn't buy it. If it's there in the morning, I'll grab it on "Senior Discount Day" Hi! They make fine beacons.

Ron and I have known each other for close to 17 years. His beacon was just like sand on the beach: getting into _/everything!.

/_73,

chuck_/
/_
On 12/23/2013 10:29 AM, Marc Kulbacki wrote:
You're very welcome Chuck. Your beacon is always welcome in EN82lg. It's what you don't have:
No chirp
No yoop
No key clicks
No drift
No noise/hum on your carrier
No 30 second silence requirement to cool the rig down between IDs
No keying gibberish
No chirp/yoop/drift on T/R
No starting on one frequency and drifting to another while the ID is in progress You may not be surprised to learn that I spent my life in broadcasting and much of it was chasing down transmitter/STL impairments. Nor will you be surprised that I consider CW my first language. I intend to debut a beacon on New Year's Day. It will be a kind of "come as you are" affair for now.

    Date: 12/22/2013 6:44 PM (GMT-07:00)
    To hfbeacons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:hfbeacons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Subject [HFbeacons] Beacons heard in the Detroit area on 22-Dec-13

    21 beacons heard in EN82lg [Detroit MI area] today in 3 band sweeps
    marc  ve3gix  EN82lg  Windsor Ontario
    40 meter vee + R-75 + 599zx

        14      15                      182.1   VY0SNO  NU      Iqaluit

                        16              183.3   XE1RCS  MEX     Cerro Gordo

        14      15                      188.1   OE3XAC  AUT     Vienna

        14              16              200.0   OA4B    PRU     Lima

        14              16              200.0   ZS6DN   AFS     Pretoria

                        16              203.5   K6LLL   CA      Laguna Beach

        14      15                      205.1   DL0IGI  DEU     Hohenpeissenberg

                        16              212.0   AC7GZ   AZ      Chandler

        14                              215.0   YV5LIX  VEN     Near Caracas

        14                              215.1   GB3RAL  ENG     Harwell,
Oxfordshire

        14                              222.9   KP3FT   PRT     Ponce

        14                              226.1   ED1YCA  ESP     Pricipado de
Asturias

                        16              230.9   W7PFR   WA      Mineral

        14                              237.5   LA5TEN  NOR     Near Oslo

                        16              238.9   VA7PL   BC      Crystal Mountain

        14      15                      244.9   DB0TEN  DEU
Bomlitz/Niedersachsen

                        16              247.0   K6EMI   CA      Fullerton

                        16
        249.5   K7EK    WA      Graham

        14              16
        251.3   ED4YAK  ESP     Near Madrid