[openbeos] Re: undocumented syscalls

  • From: Timothy Covell <timothy.covell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>,openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:30:22 -0400

On Fri August 16 2002 12:24, François Revol wrote:
> While porting isapnptools I had to write the inb() outb() stuff in sys/io.h
> since BeOS protects io instruction, so the asm inlines makes it segfault.
>
> I had to find the prototype for read_isa_io/write_isa_io
> (used in /bin/poke btw)
>
> http://wiki.bebits.com/page/UndocumentedSyscalls
>
> (didn't try write_isa_io for now :^)
>
> feel free to check, add, ...
>
> although we may not implement all (any ?) in OBOS...
>
> François.

I'm no kernel programmer ;-( , but I do know that inb/outb are
almost indespensible.  How do you plan on implementing this
on OBOS without write_isa_io or an equivalent?

BTW, I like the Scheduler thread because it is _very_ important
to ensuring that OBOS is as good as, if not better, than BeOS.

Along these lines, I'm confused about how BeOS can have
_micro_second resolution with commands like microsleep(),
yet have a 3ms scheduler quantum.   Perhaps someone could
explain these things in a newsletter??

(I wish that my copy of the BeBook wasn't burried in a box
at the bottom of a pile of boxes in my storage room.  But, IIRC,
these issues are _publically_ documented anywhere.)

--
timothy.covell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Unix Systems Administrator