[openbeos] trademark policy ? was (Re: AW: Re: Re)

  • From: "Michael S" <mikesum32@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 04:58:34 -0500

I hate to rain on the trademark parade, but hey, raining on parades is what
I'm good at.

It seems Tyler Morrison owns the trademark for "Haiku Software"

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=hgd21j.2.1

I brought this up September of last year to Michael Phipps. That's what my
cryptic post was about. He didn't seem worried. He said he knew about it
from the beginning. In a surprising case of small world phenomenon, it turns
out Czeslaw Czapla (from WalterCon and WalterCon 2: Electric Boogaloo) knows
the guy.

So Tyler may or may not know about Haiku, or just not care or not see us as
an enemy. If he is or was friends with Czeslaw, he's most likely just a nice
guy who isn't litigious.  It's probably nothing to worry about, but
something that should be taken into consideration in any trademark
discussions.

I suggest Czeslaw could go undercover as a Haiku secret agent. He'll need a
trench coat, a fedora, a MINOX camera, and a fake tooth loaded with poison
just in case.

-mikesum32