[openbeos] Re: string.h and security

  • From: p.willis@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:09:17 PST

*tic!* The only security problems one can have
with memcpy are
supidity whilst programming with it.
memcpy is a low level function. If you're not
willing to
do bounds checking by wrapping the function with
adequate
error checking code, you deserve what you get.
If 'nix' is prone to buffer overflows, I suggest
that those
writing software for 'nix' are incompetent and resume
that more lucrative carreer in *plumbing*.

Just my opinion.

Peter

>Over winter break, I heard from someone that
memcpy and other
>memory-copying functions had security issues --
is anyone else aware of
>this, and are we using posix code which is
architecturally secure/based on
>the secure versions?  Since BeOS/NewOS isn't
"really" a *nix, is it prone

Internet service provided by telus.net  http://www.telus.net/