[openbeos] Re: question about dos filesystem and mime types

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 16:02:52 +0200 CEST

"Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Doesn't the existing mime db already supports multiple extentions
> > for
> > the same mime ? (by adding BMessages, but maybe it's not
> > efficiently
> > parsed ?)
>
> Yes, it does. It still makes sense to have, for example, audio/x-mpeg
> and audio/mpeg point to the same actual MIME type, and maintain only
> single set of extensions and further attributes.
> That would make the MIME system much more flexible and stronger at
> the
> same time.

UI-wise, in the subtype, lefthand side of FileTypes, how
about a drop-down or listview of possible aliases, and a
checkbox named, e.g. "Change on encounter", for the Registrar,
retyping files with official mimetypes, when possible, if desirable.

Another idea I've been nurturing is having an alternative,
virtual grouping of mimetypes, where each mimetype can
be assigned to one or more virtual type groups: Documents,
Images, Executables, and whatever, regardless of the actual
supertype. Especially the application/* supertype is getting
increasingly crowded. I'm not sure how to best present this in the
UI of FileTypes, but I suppose a simple mode switch in the menu
for either classic two-level mime or virtual grouping could work.

/Jonas.