[openbeos] Re: our own language -- or Java

  • From: "Daniel Reinhold" <danielr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 07:41:45 CST

>Hi all!
>
>Instead of create Yet-Another-Language-RAD-or-not, why can't serious
effort
>be put into get Java language and platform working on BeOS? The amount
of
>"goodies" in applications and software we would inherit would be worth
the
>development effort.
>
>Just my two euros..... =]
>
>Col.

Eek, I should have known that four-letter word would make it into the
conversation.

Actually, I have nothing against Java as a language. And I wouldn't be
against someone creating a native port for OBOS (why would I?)
But my problem with Java is that it is a inextricably tied to Sun. Same
problem with C# and Microsoft. I want languages and tools that are
completely free (if that's possible) of corporate liscensing, arbitrary
fiddling with standards, and other general monkey business.