[openbeos] Re: openbeos Digest V2 #4

  • From: "John MacGrillen" <Arc.Lites@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 21:15:26 -0000

Back again and thanks for the not only civil, but informative replies to my
last post.

Browers for this one. I may not be able to do much on the project, but I can
make coffee and order pizza.

There's 3 choices on this one as I see it:
    1. Everyone throws their weight behind BeZilla.
    2. Port one fo the current free render engines and build a broswer
around it (ala Galeon, and ABrowse).
    3. Build your own from scratch designed for your platform (ala KHTML).
3 is out as we probably don't have the resources, so that leaves 1 or 2. The
decision would have to made about what is to be provided.
2 will most likely produce a small, fast, light browser, but only a browser.
1 will produce...well Mozilla won't it?

For option 2, there are really only 3 render engines with source that I
could find out there that are fully standards compliant (HTML 4, JavaScript,
CSS, DOM, etc.). They are Gecko, Amaya and KHTML (sorry to those who have
their own render engines).
Amaya is the W3C proving ground, and similar to Mozilla in that it's more
than just a browser. It may be impressive, but isn't widely used.
Both Gecko and KHTML have pretty much the same list of supported
technologies. For me KHTML was a lot easier to read and understand as it was
smaller (still haven't got grips with Gecko), but the GPL leaves me slightly
uneasy as I'm not sure where that leaves browser plugins, or how it fits
into OBOS.
If license isn't a problem then it'll come down to a straight vote as to who
prefers which engine.

Option 1 is well known. It's a beast of a thing, and a lot more than just a
browser.

Of course that still leaves Java support, and plugins like Flash etc., but
that's seperate projects really.

One question I would like to ask is will OBOS R1 support UTF8 or UTF16
fonts? DOM 3 core uses and expects UTF16 characters, so OS independent
character and string classes would be required.

JMac