[openbeos] Re: off topic posts

  • From: "Helmar Rudolph" <helmar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:38:50 +0200

> Could we please restrict this mailing list to questions/discussions
> about OpenBeOS?

Point taken, but maybe you fail to understand one thing: if we
are not standing united and offer all we have to Palm, we may
never get what we really want: the source code and the licence to
manipulate and develop it, and also to rid it off licenced code.

If we don't get the source code, the following thing will happen:
OpenBeOS will remain a pet project of a few while the remainder
of the BeOS community will use it as long as they can. It's got
no future though, and neither has OpenBeOS, because it would fall
into the same trap that Be, Inc. has fallen - technical coolness;
marketing obscurity; insignificant following; frustration all
around, except for a few coders who still get kicks out of their
technical marvel. All that just won't be enough to give that
thing enough momentum so that it becomes even remotely
interesting to Joe Soap.

So although this discussion may be off-topic right now, it is
absolutely crucial, because if there is one element that is
central in influencing Palm's behaviour and willingness, then
it's the BeOS community.

In short: unite and live, divide and die. That said, once we have
the licence, we can still do "stuff", but until then we should
present Palm with all the fire-power we have.

That's all I really want to say. I won't bug you anymore, because
I now said it (again). The choice is yours.

Helmar