[openbeos] Re: my thoughts

  • From: Erik Jakowatz <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 09:08:31 -0700

I think some of what you talk about here can be addressed by answering
your last question:  the development environment for OpenBeOS is BeOS
R5.x.  Combined with the determination that NewOS will be our kernel
foundation, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend time and resources
on writing a wrapper for Linux.  The server/kit teams will use and write
to the R5.x kernel until the NewOS-based kernel is ready; then we'll
drop it in.  Doing a Linux wrapper (while possibly quite interesting,
technically) would just end up being a detour from our intended goal.

While the Berlin project is pretty dang cool in its own right, I'm not
convinced it really fits in architecturally with BeOS as it stands
(which *is* our target), and could require prohibitive amounts of
refactoring to do the job.  I'm sure there are some great ideas we could
crib from them, though, so if you have some insights about how their
system works that can be applied, I'm certain everybody would love to
hear them.