[openbeos] Re: gcc-2.95.3

  • From: Oliver Tappe <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 14:16:03 +0200

On 2004-08-09 at 13:35:06 [+0200],
Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Oliver Tappe <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > it's been a rather rough ride (as could be expected), but there's a
> > first
> > testing version of gcc-2.95.3 available from here:
> >
> >     http://www.hirschkaefer.de/beos/gcc-test-040808.zip  (7.7 MB)
>
> Wow, that's very cool! Thanks for the work!

Thanks, but I think I've messed things up, as Philippe has warned me that
my release is buggy (it fails to start cpp0, which works on my machine).
I will check things out later today, but before that, please refrain from
downloading the 7.7 MB only to find out it isn't working... >:o(

> Is it a "plain" 2.95.3 or does it contain some fixes? IIRC the GCC that
> was found on Linux before GCC 3 came out was something like 2.95.3-4 -
> that was not an official release AFAICT, though.

Hm, no, I've worked on the plain gnu-release 2.95.3. I will look for that
special version later. Do you happen to remember which distribution you
were using at the time? Maybe it was a distribution-specific release...

> > - ignore the fact that the main folder is named gcc-2.95.3_binutils-
> > 2.15, the
> >   binutils which actually are in there are version 2.10.1. I will
> > experiment
> >   with some other binutils versions, but most probably version 2.11.2
> > will
> >   eventually be bundled for the release (newer ones make use of at
> > least one
> >   elf-tag which BeOS doesn't know how to handle: DL_RELCOUNT).
>
> Hm, I haven't heard of that one, but how does GCC 3/current binutils
> handle this stuff?

Well, version 2.15 *is* the current version, I suppose, and the problem is
that it introduces this tag into the elf-binary. The linux loader seems to
handle it fine, of course, it's just the BeOS kernel loader which gives up
on this tag and refuses to load the binary. So I guess there's not much we
can do for BeOS R5, which is my primary target. Once gcc-2.95.3 is working
for R5, I'll be working on an improved libstdc++ (it currently comes with
the version from gnupro-000224 in order to be R5-compatible).

cheers,
        Oliver