[openbeos] booting on Linux / SATA

  • From: Marcus Overhagen <marcusoverhagen@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 04:00:42 +0100 (CET)

Hello developers,

I managed today to install haiku from inside Linux, using an intermediate image
file,
and boot it with grub.

However, there is an issue with the ide code. (the machine has one unsued PATA
port,
and one is used with an ATAPI DVD-ROM)

As the SATA disks are not supported right now (but I'll work on a AHCI driver
soon),
the kernel wasn't able to find a boot device, PANIC: could not mount boot
device!
(ok thats not a problem)

The problem is, it takes way too long to get to this point, as it executes many
ide reset_device() calls, a few of them (3 or 4) with fairly long timeouts.

The kernel spends about 110 seconds waiting during reset_device,
I assume it will do this everytime, even if there was a boot device, correct?

Does anyone has similar issues? I had to enable a lot of debug output
to see the probem.

regards
Marcus

Viel oder wenig? Schnell oder langsam? Unbegrenzt surfen + telefonieren
ohne Zeit- und Volumenbegrenzung? DAS TOP ANGEBOT JETZT bei Arcor: günstig
und schnell mit DSL - das All-Inclusive-Paket für clevere Doppel-Sparer,
nur  44,85 ?  inkl. DSL- und ISDN-Grundgebühr!
http://www.arcor.de/rd/emf-dsl-2