[openbeos] Re: booting R5 on a packard bell

  • From: "Jared Eldredge" <jared@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 16:21:16 -0400 EDT

Axel is right - safe mode options are your friend here.

try enabling [boot in safe mode], [disable harddrive dma], and [fail-
safe video]
(its been a while, so dont be too upset if i've forgotten the
nomenclature used in the boot menu.  the concepts are rather easy -
those three listed should be in there somewhere.)

you also may want to enter the bios setup program and disable [Plug-N-
Play] features if they are supported in the bios.  considering the
machine is a pentium 1, most of the other hardware work-arounds dont
apply (the workarounds tend to try and make new hardware act more like
old hardware... your hardware is already old and therefore should act
like it already)

if you slide open the case, you'll find that packard-bell custom
manufactured their motherboards during that era.  search google for the
part numbers on the motherboard and you'll likely find support pages
over at NEC (NEC bought up packard bell about the time pentium 2's were
common place iirc).  if you do find any support doc's, just search
through for the chipset and embedded devices listed.  anything really
spooky in there could be the culprit.

on a last note: packard bell was found of using a bastardized winmodem
back then - i cant recall the name, but it was a combination Aztech
soundcard and [some-brand] modem.  take that thing out and see what
happens.

goodluck
-jared

--
Automated (hopefully never vulgar) fortune:

You have junk mail.