[haiku] Re: alpha2 "device recalibrate error"

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 17:58:35 +0200

On 2010-05-10 at 13:14:15 [+0200], Jean-Marc Louviaux <jeanmarc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > Did you burn to a 700MB cd ? the alpha2 will not fit on a 650MB one
> apparently.
>
> I first tried on a Exel CD-R 80 (700MB) then on a CD-RW EMTEC 700MB.
>
> > Did you burn the disk on the same computer that you are trying to install
> Haiku on?
>
> Yes, and it use to work before (with alpha1 and some other nightly builds).
> I burn with Brasero on Ubuntu at low speed.

I ran into the "device recalibrate error" with an old CD-RW, too (another
one didn't even start to boot). Checksumming the CD under Linux failed with
an "Input/output error", though, so I agree with Stippi that this is most
likely just a problem with the media, the drive, or the unfortunate
combination of the two (DVD-Rs worked just fine).

I haven't looked at the driver sources, but I suspect the driver just
reports whatever error it got from the hardware, so I wouldn't consider this
a bug. Obviously the driver shouldn't panic, but during the boot process
that probably doesn't make much of a difference anyway.

If you want to verify whether this is an issue with Haiku only, compute the
md5sum of the CD on the same machine with your OS of choice and compare it
with the one of the image you burned to it. If the md5sum can be computed
and is correct, Haiku may indeed have an issue.

CU, Ingo