[openbeos] Re: Why BeUnited?

  • From: "Richard Crawford" <richardcrawford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 23:44:51 PST

Action: /me gets inspired and all patriotic for the BeOS community...
The name "BeUnited" (not the website, but rather, these two words put
together) remind me of the fact that if the BeOS community cannot "be
united" in decisions, then BeOS will go nowhere really really fast.
There is no more mother-cat to control the kitties at play, and so, the
kitties are learning to fend for theirselves. I do, however, think that
everyone has done very well at working together, no contest! I'm not a
member of the OBOS team, but I am very proud of the accomplishments
being achieved daily through this team.

Let us all as BeOS users never forget what we are all here for. The
BeOS is a finely-tuned machine that OBOS is recreating, to achieve
functionality as well as the beauty, ease of use, and the professional
image of the former BeOS. All of these areas are important, because
they all play a part in creating what we know of as BeOS.

When the time comes for OBOS to be distributed on such a scale that
even Be theirselves had done, and when OBOS becomes even bigger than
that, I am certain that sites like BeUnited.org and possibly the new-
coming YellowTab.com would be marvelous compliments to the communities'
lifelines. Go, OpenBeOS! Focus, focus, focus, one day at a time, and
trust some to look ahead in the future for you.  You guys (and gals!)
are great! Please keep up the great work...
Action: /me calms down again. :P

> [...]
>
>OBOS could.  And through BeUnited.  BeUnited has always been
>a "community" site/organization/whatever.  Never has someone asked to
>be part of BeUnited that I have said no to.  Never has anyone
requested
>to start a new project under BeUnited that I have denied (how many of
>those actually seen light of day is another thing - but to no fault of
>my own solely).  The whole Palm licensing structure was a bunch of
>people that said "we should do this under the name of BeUnited".
>
>I started BeUnited with other members of the community, whom no longer
>are around on BeUnited, less Jean, who has always lurked in the dark
of
>BeUnited :P ... I've run BeUnited out of the lack of anyone else
>volunteering until recently - but in no way is the site/name mine, nor
>anyone else's.   BeUnited is a community site (except for the fact
that
>I've brunted the server costs myself since it's beginnings - along
with
>other sites I've been involved in).
>
>What I'm saying here is that BeUnited is _not_ a commercial entity...
>it is a community entity.  But it could be a commercial entity for the
>community.  We take the "pure" OBOS CVS - add in some third party
>applications and distribute it, returning the money back to the
>community - the devs.  I say "we", meaning the OBOS developers and the
>OBOS users that have other skills, such as marketing and other useful
>skills.  This means OBOS _will_ get to certify the applications.  OBOS
>will control at least what one distribution goes out like, and it
would
>be the official OBOS distribution.  I'm not saying it should be
>_called_ BeUnited OBOS (a la RedHat Linux)... I'm saying that BeUnited
>should be the organization under which all this is structured.
>
>Sure OBOS can set up a certification program.  Sure OBOS can say "this
>is what OBOS is _supposed_ to be, according to our CVS".  So why do
>this separate of OBOS then?  Because can the OBOS team, as an
>OpenSource OS team also include in closed source offerings (of which
>I'm currently securing arrangements for some no longer developed BeOS
>source code - which will remain closed source, and royalties will be
>paid to the original author).  Could OBOS make a distribution that was
>a "full distro", including other commercial software arranged with
>other BeOS commercial developers?
>
>OBOS could certainly start a commercial entity to do just that - but
>that is exactly what I am proposing here.  I'm not saying those that
>have previously been involved with BeUnited would control OBOS.  Not
>even.  I'm saying OBOS and BeUnited "team" together to do just that -
>create a commercial half of OBOS to set standards (setting standards
>could still be OBOS, I don't care - it was just an idea), to sell
>distributions, to sell _other_closed_source products alongside of
OBOS.