[openbeos] Re: Support of C++ for writing Drivers

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 00:30:48 +0100 (MET)

And I don't see why we would use C++ in drivers as well, it's not meant for
that.
Maybe Windows CE does it, that's not why we either should do it or not.
Just that it seems to me that now that M$ want's to get everyone out of kernel
land where even MSWord could go, they allow them a lot of things to make their
life easier. Nothing strange now that Windows CE crashes so often :)))
C++ is not a language for that, it's too convoluted IMO. We need something
simple for kernel land, something that makes it easy to know which func each
byte belongs to.
I think there is a reason why Linux, *BSD, (*NIX I know of), Minix, XINU,
QNX (?), are all coded in C (not to mention MacOS in Pascal, and AmigaOs in B I
think, though AmigaOs was OO, but an OO language doesn't make an OO prog,
neither an OO-prog needs an OO language, for example tweaking ffmpeg C sources
makes me feel writing in C++).
As for the current version anyway, C++ is not supported in the kernel, even if
there was one newsletter that explained how to hack some basic C++ things, but
it wasn't easy IIRC.

François.

My 0.02 FF (sorry I need to get rid of them :P)