[openbeos] Re: ShowImage Bloat (User Interface Design)

  • From: Mat Hounsell <mat_geek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:08:27 +1100 (EST)

User Interface Design is 'publicly' undervalued by most programmers. Simplely
because it is difficult, time consuming and often annoying to implement. Which
is why developers pretend not to care; even though they are long term computer
users and know its value.

When I was working for Motorola on their mobile phone software we where told
the V70 (the one with the rotating front) was a "Trade Secret" and it's details
were to be kept as such. (Lest Nokia or Siemens find out.)

Now if You had been showing of the product pictures, by opening "ShowImage" and
 selecting all the public ones, whould you think it proper for the image viewer
to show the next file (the "Trade Secret") because it was in the directory?
Even though You had explicitly selected a restricted set of images?

Pictures can range from trade secrets to Dilberts. Would you show every picture
on your hard drive to your boss? To your Mum?

In a similar vein, would you show your boss all your emails? What about the
ones from job sites, or recruiters? Or just the personal ones about the soccer
that you sent to a friend away in brazil despite the ban on use of email for
non business purposes?

Picture this: You tell mkbfs to initialize partition 2 and 3. Before it each
partition it asks you do you want to format the partition. Would you expect it
to ask you wether to initialize partition 4?

Helpful software is usually wrong. It is bad enough to have software do exactly
what its told. I for one don't want software that does what it thinks is next.