[openbeos] Re: Question about Jobs(Command Line)

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:27:13 +0200 (MEST)

En réponse à "Paul \"Bo\" Peaslee" <h2oman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > I was taking a look at Command Line Jobs (Preferences Team), looking
> for
> > something to work in and a big question ocurred me:
> >
> > some jobs (Command Line) were taken from GNU Packages (eg:bc) and
> some
> were
> > implemented from scratch (eg:mount). I just don't undestand: why don't
> you
> > take all from GNU ? Or if you are restrictive about GPL, why did you
> take
> > some ?
Because most can be compiled natively, but some commands rely on POSIX
stuff BeOS doesn't have, or has but it behaves differently.
bc is the best example of OS-independant command.
on the other hand mount on UNIX plays with /etc/fstab, which BeOS
doesn't have.

Please refer to this list too:
http://clapcrest.free.fr/revol/beos/openbeos_bin_commands.html
to see the origin, also I marked some progs as done but still didn't put it
in the CVS (shame on me :P)

> I was also wondering if there was a Posix layer or kit these utilities
> should be constructed on.

Just assume you have the BeOS one, for now.

François.