[openbeos] OpenBeOS is a technical project

  • From: "Daniel Reinhold" <danielr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 15:26:57 CDT

I understand that many people have concerns about the future of the
BeOS and what steps should be taken to keep it alive. Naturally, that's
why OpenBeOS was started. But everyone has to keep in mind that this
project does not address all those possible concerns nor should it. It
is a technical project. It is not a political or marketing project. Nor
is it a think tank for dreaming about the future of computing. It is a
specific project with a specific goal -- to reimplement the BeOS in a
open source framework.

OpenBeOS is a necessary but not sufficient condition for the survival
of the BeOS. That is, you have to control of the code as a foundation
or little else is possible. But that won't be enough in and of itself
to save the BeOS. You need all these others avenues as well including
marketing, steering committees, and so on. I understand this and I
think most of the developers here understand this. But that is not the
main concern at this point, and it's certainly not the concern of the
OpenBeOS project.

We have work to do (a big pile of work), and so we need concentration
and focus and, perhaps, a little bit of encouragement. I'm urging
people not to use this list as an opportunity to lecture and rant at
programmers for not understanding the "big picture". We see the big
picture. But it won't happen without the foundation -- that is, the new
source code. That's our main concern -- it has to be. Let us do the
job. Wish us luck and hope that we can pull it off.