[openbeos] Re: [OT] Re: gcc 3.x ABI

  • From: "shatty" <shatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 12:01:24 -0700

I do industrial size work with the beos gcc (for NASA)
and I can say firmly that the best gcc for stability
is the one that is available at geekgadgets. (the 2000
build)  AFAIK this is also the compiler that was in
exp/dano.  It fixes bugs from the R5 one and has no
new bugs that I am aware of.  However, this version
doesn't have the extended processor instruction
support either.  So, I use the 2.95.3 for mmx builds,
such as ffmpeg, LAME.  I also use symlinks and scripts
to switch at ease.  Although I keep the old R5 one
around I never find need to switch to it, and my
default is the 2000 build.

I suspect that the 2.95.3 build on bebits is missing
some of the patches applied to the R5 and 2000 builds
on geekgadgets, and this causes some of its awry
behavior.  A suitably motivated person could probably
patch that build so that it would be better behaved
and we could still have the mmx/etc. support.  Or, it
could just be that 2.95.3 really is that buggy. :-)

Andrew