[openbeos] Re: OBOS - To have java or not to have java?

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 19:18:51 -0500

>"Bryan Varner" <bman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>This may be something for the GE mailing list, but I think it pertains
>>to this one as well. Here's why.
>
>NO! Stop it! BeOS R5 had no java. So this is not on topic for OpenBeOS
>R1 creation. Please move this to the glass elevator mailinglist, and please,
>don't reply here!
>If somebody wants to do Java, or a Browser, or a Logo, or anything else
>that was not in BeOS R5, it is OFF-TOPIC here and must not be discussed
>here. The glass elevator mailinglist was created for this purpose.
>
>If you want to reply to this message, mail me at mailto:dos4gw@xxxxxx
>But please do not use the list. It has more than 450 subscribers already,
>and is dedicated to OpenBeOS creation, which will be a BeOS R5 clone
>in it's first version, not to other BeOS development.
>
>regards
>Marcus

Yeah. What Marcus said, plus this:
JAVA IS NOT AN OS ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is a language, despite what Sun would have you believe.
You can write a complete Java implementation WITHOUT changing code in the OS.
If someone WHO HAS TRIED and had an issue would like to talk about THAT, it
would
be on topic for GE.

Just as discussions about browsers and spreadsheets are off topic here, so is
Java,
other kernels (why don't you use Linux's kernel), other drawing systems (why
don't you
build app_server on top of X), etc.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for BeOS. We *all* would like to have a great
browser,
a decent Java VM, a new IDE, etc. But we (OBOS) can not and will not be all
things to
all people. Just as Be was not. We have to be even smaller and more focused
than Be
was. That means that every developer can *NOT* sit down to do their couple of
hours
of coding a night to 100 email messages. Especially things answered in the FAQ.
(If this
is not, it should be).

Thanks, everyone, for your restraint.