[openbeos] Re: New Deal

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 09:56:07 -0400

You know - it amazes me how people don't listen or understand.
THERE IS LICENSED CODE IN BEOS!!!

Be said this. A long time ago. I can even point out some pieces:
the font renderer, the color management stuff.

Be can not just whip the kimono off and open source the code.
They would be in court and under court order before the first
person could download it.

There are pieces AND API's that can not be open sourced.
I am under NDA for an api. I have none of that companies code. But
I can not even show people the API without being hit with the full force
of the law on this issue.

Be can not just, say, remove the BitStream (IIRC) font engine or the Kodak
color management stuff. The remaining pieces would demonstrate the APIs
that these companies own. Be/Palm would have to put a lot of engineering time
into obscuring the proprietary details. And they would still be open for a law
suit.

I have never heard of a pressure group. But there is 0% chance of Be/Palm doing
what
they asked.

NOW - OTOH, is IS possible that some small number of people could become
employees
of a company, placed under NDA, and given the source. But that would entail
funding, et al.
If/when that happens, it is worthy of discussion. Until then, I just ignore
this stuff. Except
when I am grumpy. :-)

Francois - none of this is aimed at you. I can't believe the founders of this
pressure group. :-/