[haiku] Re: My May Spectrum magazine arrived today...

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 20:48:43 +0200

On Sat, 5 May 2012 22:02:43 -0400 Justin Stressman wrote:
> For those who don't have access to the dead tree version, here is
> what
> I believe is the same article being referred to:
>
> http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/the-dawn-of-haiku-os/0
>
> Congratulations everyone involved! :)

Yep. Thanks for this high profile article! I'm a bit disappointed that
there's just one tiny photo with the online version. The photographer
took quite a few very high resolution pictures...

The article gives a nice introduction on how Haiku came to be and some
of the "BeOS philosophy behind it.
On the other hand, I think the "marketing" pitch was over the top at
times. Suggesting Haiku (as is) as a bugfree alternative to Windows and
MacOS can only backfire. And pulling release dates from thin air does
much more damage than good...
I don't think Haiku is ready to be pitched to the enduser yet. We still
need to focus on developers who appreciate the opportunity to have a
major impact with their contributions on an already quite well rounded
operating system. And, since the alpha releases, show that there may be
opportunities for 3rd party application developers. If some can be
convinced that Haiku may have a niche chance, now would be the time to
get their apps rolling.
Then again, IEEE is probably too far removed from that developer
target...

Anyway, thanks for the article, Ryan. I didn't want to come across too
negatively. Maybe a few details like relesdates could be discussed the
next time?

Regards,
Humdinger

      Deutsche Haiku News  -  Haiku Gazette