[openbeos] Re: Media Kit Query.

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 04:06:40 CEST (+0200)

Hi John,

> Hi - I thought I'd have a bash at implementing the BMediaFormats
> class in
> the Media Kit. I've started with the helper functions.
>
> GetBeOSFormatFor , etc.
>
> Now, for example, the GetBeOSFormatFor routine takes an argument
> fourcc, of type uint32, (it used to be called 'format', but it's name
> changed in R5). The question is - what do I do with this argument?/
>
> For types like B_MEDIA_RAW_AUDIO, there is a corresponding 'format'
> variable in a subfield of the media_formats type, but other than that
> I'm somewhat lost.

Hmm... the fourcc generally refers to something like 'DIVX' and just
means to have a four byte long code.
Since the BMediaFormats class seems to handle all the format stuff -
codecs register their fourcc codes using this class, and they also
define a certain family, like B_AVI_FORMAT_FAMILY.
Maybe that just means that GetBeOSFormatFor() just return the
media_formats that have been registered before as B_BEOS_FORMAT_FAMILY.
I think GetBeOSFormatFor() is just a short-hand function for
GetFormatFor().

At least, that's how I understood it; I would write some tests for this
class first to see how it really behaves.

Adios...
   Axel.