[haiku] Re: Mail categories

  • From: "Clemens Zeidler" <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 15:47:11 +1300

Hi,

this week I want to integrate my local imap implementation into the mail daemon which should result in a MDR refactoring and maybe small changes in the mentioned attributes. Probably I can help you a bit more by end of the week.

Am 31.12.2010, 23:44 Uhr, schrieb Sean Healy <jalopeura@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

1) What does BeOS/Haiku use for the actual filename of the mail? (I know this name doesn't appear in Tracker when viewing mail, but it still needs to exist, and needs to be unique within its folder.

the filename is composed in http://haiku.it.su.se:8180/source/xref/src/add-ons/mail_daemon/system_filters/inbox/filter.cpp in the method ProcessMailMessage... Its a combination of subject, date and from attribute.

2) What goes in the MAIL:chain, MAIL:account and MAIL:reply_with fields? I've looked at the source code, and they seem to be coming from a mail chain. Unfortunately, I don't know what a mail chain is, except that it seems to be a flattened BMessage in a file. Is this file created when I set up a mail account? How do I determine the name and id of a mail chain from within a perl/bash environment?
probably unnecessary if you just want to convert mails and don't use them with a special existing account

3) MAIL:thread appears to be simply the subject, with things like "Re:" and list names (between [ and ]) stripped out. Is that correct?
haven't looked into it but there is a thread filter...

4) Is there a standard way to store things like tags/categories? I know that People files use the META:group attribute, and my instinct is to use that for mails as well (Outlook, for example, uses the same categories for email and contacts). However, if there is some standard that existing BeOS/Haiku mail programs expect, I would rather use that.

don't know yet but ideas are welcome I also want to show different icons for forwarded and replied mails and have no concrete idea how to store this flags. Don't like the current solution to overwrite the status attribute because it can only store one state.

5) MAIL:unique_id is only written in RemoteStorageProtocol.cpp. Is it only necessary for remotely stored files?
think this is the server id of the mail, the id is needed to check if the mail is already downloaded or missing.

6) MAIL:fullsize would logically be the sum of MAIL:header_length and MAIL:content_length. Is it?
Are this attributes actually used somewhere? I think the only interested information would be the total message size which could be different to the file size for partial downloaded (header only) mails.

7) Searching the internet revealed the potential existence of MAIL:filter_flags. What is this attribute?
don't know

cheers
        Clemens