[haiku] Re: Java Status

  • From: "Adrien Destugues" <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 16:28:20 +0200

> Is the development of Java at a standstill for Haiku? I remember news
> articles some time ago indicating it was approaching a usable state,
> but
> nothing has been mentioned in quite a while.
>
> Are there difficult technical hurdles and/or lack-of-time(real life
> issues)
> and/or lack-of-developer-interest? What does everyone here think
> about how
> useful it would be to have it?

Hello,
I didn't hear much about it recently. There was a project to port
openjdk. Technically, porting java looks like quite a big task if you
want to get the full things including awt, swing, and so on. Having it
would be nice, but the Haiku project is about developping an operating
system, not the apps that run on it. The correct question would then be
"are the OpenJDK guys willing to port their stuff to Haiku".

I'd say lack of interest/better things to do from the devs. But not
everyone may think the same ...

--
Adrien.