[openbeos] Re: Jason Samms, unreleased OpenGL

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:11:11 -0500

>Michael Phipps wrote:
>
>>As far as OpenGL, porting Mesa sounds like a great idea.
>>Honestly, OpenGL is the one area of BeOS that scares me.
>>Not so much the software render side, but the "real", hardware accelerated
>>stuff. Everyone that I have ever spoken to who should know says that
>>Jason Samms is a *great* engineer. And that HWOGL is not really even
>>near done. And that most mere mortals will struggle to understand it.
>
>My sense (from what I read on the user sites, and from knowing a
>couple of the right people) is that the new OpenGL kit was pretty
>complete. Jason did his job extraordinarily wel--what was missing was
>a wide variety of hardware drivers. Or am I missing something?

I have been lead to understand that it is not really done yet.
What works is awesome, but it is not all there yet. So I have been told.

>I do agree with you that OpenGL deserves its reputation (N.B. I have
>no direct experience with it...I haven't done any coding in years.)
>In particular, drivers aren't easy to write. Note Leo Schwab's
>experience fighting with the 810 drivers, which I've heard him
>describe in a couple forums...in theory, you'd expect reference
>boards and documentation from a company at Intel's scale to be good,
>and it <cough> wasn't a good experience.

I am not surprised. Intel wrote the drivers for 810 for Windows. What
other drivers would you need? Why document it well? :-)

>It would be cool to hear from either Leo or Jason, or maybe even some
>other ex-Be types like JBQ and Andrew Kimpton, weighing the design
>tradeoffs of going with MESA or going with a replacement OpenGL kit.

I would love to have a HWOGL fall into my lap. :-)
I don't think (and this is my opinion only) that we should put bare minimum work
into a software OGL renderer. Basically, they are worthless, since most opengl
is for games, and no one wants 1fps games.