[openbeos] Introduction

  • From: Skye Poier <skye@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:22:06 -0800

Hello all,

I just joined this list after seeing Palm's decision and contacting Deej
at BeUnited about what I can do to help continue fly the BeOS banner.

I saw BeOS for the first time at a "Demo Day" in Bellingham WA (drove
down from Vancouver BC for it) - in 97? 98? seems long ago - where I
saw the dual-processor BeBox for the first time and learned all about
this little company that dared to go up against The Evil Empire.  I was
hooked instantly; I felt a kind of excitement I hadn't felt about
computers since I was a kid and I was punching in programs on an
Apple ][e.  I got involved, even wrote a beta freeware font program, but
career and other things prevented me from getting invovled in BeOS
development as much as I would have liked.  I used BeOS as much as I
could for my desktop OS, although the lack of drivers hindered a lot of
my work.

I still managed to follow BeNews fairly often and I was very sad the day
they announced the change in direction to BeIA.  I understand why they
felt they had to do it but I could only see doom down that path.  In a
way, its almost a relief that its all over now, as it refocuses the
energy of the (remaining) BeOS enthusiasts on what BeOS was made to do,
and do very well.

Anyway, enough waxing, I'm a software engineer by trade, specializing in
UNIX kernel modifications at the moment.  I think I can contribute to
this project; as always my free time is at a minimum but I intend to
lurk on the list for a while, see where I can help out, and get my feet
wet as soon as the opportunity arises.  I seriously hope that this
effort does not see the kind of fragmentation that plagues the UNIX OSS
world.

BeOS is dead, long live BeOS!!

Skye