[haiku] Re: How to be a good (useful) tester?

  • From: Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:11:15 +0530

I think Ryan, Matt and Scott have covered most of the points. I have
only a few more to add.

1. Usability Testing - see if the UI can be improved in certain
places, find out if applications are following the HIG, create
mockups.

2. Localization - I don't think the Locale Kit is going to be a part
of R1A1, but it's certainly going to be an important part of Haiku
later on.

3. Support - help new users and developers figure out Haiku. Hang out
on IRC, the mailing lists and the forums.

4. Porting - even if you don't grok C++, you can help out with porting
applications to Haiku. Many UNIX libraries can be ported to Haiku with
only minor changes in their build systems, which paves the way for
porting larger applications.

5. Brainstorming - throw ideas around, hope something sticks :)

6. Complaining - lack of criticism has been a major cause of poor
usability in Linux DEs. Try to uncover areas in the Haiku UI which
could do with some improvement. Suggest changes. Write blog posts. If
your ideas are good, someone might pick them up :)

--
Salut,
General Maximus