[openbeos] Hoard and other allocators

  • From: "Ari Haviv" <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 03:50:22 -0400

It is my understanding that Haiku uses the Hoard memory allocator by
Emery Berger. I remember when it was first ported to BeOS. However, it
couldn't be updated after the license changed from LGPL to GPL.
(unless you pay for a commercial license...)
The nedmalloc promises to be competitive but with a very compatible
Boost License.
http://www.nedprod.com/programs/portable/nedmalloc/index.html

Then there is the jemalloc which is under the BSD license. This is
what Firefox has chosen for their version 3 and FreeBSD uses it so it
should have a lot of eyes on that code
for example see
http://wordpress.com/tag/jemalloc/

I humbly put this out for your consideration :)