[openbeos] Re: [Haiku-commits] r17681 - in haiku/trunk/src/apps: . calculator

  • From: Ville Koskinen <vrkosk@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 18:29:09 +0300

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 15:50:11 -0300
André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But having bc as a backend is probably a good idea. 65k, links to
> curses, readline and libc. So it's a tad larger than 65k, but it's
> definitely some order of magnitudes smaller than a math suite :)

Actually, I agree. bc is pretty hefty and supports arrays, loops,
and conditionals, among the usual mathematical functions and
expressions. I saw a code snipplet once that printed the Mandelbrot
fractal with bc on the console...

However, for a standard desktop calculator, it's an overkill. Writing a
parser for a calculator is simple, and you can find examples of it by
browsing the yacc or bison manual. (It seems to be the default example,
especially the RPN or Reverse Polish flavour.) I'm not against reuse,
but a calculator is such a simple application that it's questionable if
dragging in a load of GPL'd code is worth it.

Of course, nothing prevents you from bundling bc with Haiku so that the
advanced users (and geeks) can have something more powerful to play
with. :)

--
Ville Koskinen