[openbeos] Haiku at Kansai Open Source Conference 2007

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 09:16:37 -0700

Howdy,

I am making a (business & pleasure) trip to Japan in Nov., and since the
timing coincides with the upcoming Kansai Open Source Conference (Nov. 9
& 10 in Osaka, Japan), I am organizing a presence for Haiku at the event.

So far I have made arrangements for a Haiku booth, so that Haiku can be
demoed on the exhibit floor, and for a track session, for a general
Haiku presentation. I will also apply for an "on stage presentation" to
do a short 10 minute demo of Haiku.

I have additionally hooked up with a freelance writer to do an interview
in case any (prominent?) Haiku developer(s) come to the event (potential
publications for this interview are Software Design magazine, UNIX USER
magazine or MYCOM Journal).

I have already invited the JPBE.net folks and several Haiku devs to join me in this event, and I wanted to extend this invitation to all the Haiku devs as well enthusiasts out there who may want to be part of this initiative (no, I am not paying for any of your expenses :P ). Anybody interested, feel free to reply here on the list.

Since a Haiku admin recently wrote on this list that a "request (for funds) can very well come from an outside source like a mailing list" (www.freelists.org/archives/openbeos/08-2007/msg00121.html), I also take the liberty to ask Haiku Inc. and/or the admin team to consider subsidizing at least part of the travel expenses should any Haiku dev(s) come(s) forward and decide(s) to take fly to Osaka.

Kansai Open Source is held once a year in Osaka, and it draws a crowd of approximately 1.5K people. The event has booths for both businesses and volunteer projects, session tracks, on-stage presentations, and BoFs. I have done the conference once in 2005 with Bruno/BGA and several JPBE.net folks), and it was a lot of fun. We had a booth, Bruno gave an OpenBFS presentation (attendance was about 20 people), and I gave a ZETA demo on stage. You can see few pictures and links to videos here:

http://www.jpbe.net/news/archives/2004/10/000769.html

You can see a few pics from last year's conference here:

http://bluequartz.org/event/kof2006/index.html
http://itpro.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/NEWS/20061120/254228/?ST=oss&P=2

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Koki