[openbeos] Re: Geeky T-Shirt Day

  • From: Lars Hansson <lars-openbeos-misc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:35:48 +0800

Simon Taylor wrote:
> but .org is a less well-known TLD.

I prefer to think that people are actually smart enough to understand that .org works just like .com.

I'm not convinced normal people would instantly recognise "haiku-os.org"
> as a web address.

I seriously doubt people who dont know that haiku-os.org is a website are in any way interested in Haiku in the first place.

Whenever web addresses are quoted in broadcast media people never say

I've heard broadcast media saying simply google.com. I dont think I've ever heard anyone say www.google.com. I've certainly never heard anyone say "all the Ws dot".

Waldemar's reasoning for his change is that www.haiku-os.org
> redirects to haiku-os.org (note how I've naturally skipped
> the http:// too!) - fair enough, but to me it is the
> website redirection that needs fixing and not the AboutHaiku window.

Waldemar is correct. haiku-os.org is the actual website where www.haiku-os.org is just a convenient alias. This does not really relate to what should/should not be on t-shirts and about boxes though.
As a webhosting provider I can tell you that people are actually asking
to have the site without the www prefix and just redirect from www. They dont use www on businesscards or other promotional material.

---
Lars Hansson