[haiku] [GSoC idea] IMAP FS

  • From: Anshul Singhle <xashck@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 17:22:29 +0530

Hi,
 I'm Anshul Singhle, a sophomore undergraduate student at Indian Institute
of Technology, Kharagpur. I'm interested in  taking a project from your
organization for GSoC. As described by your Ideas page, the project would
allow users to mount their IMAP accounts as a Filesystem .
I have developed filesystems using FUSE in the past. I very recently
developed a FUSE-based versioning filesystem with COW(Copy-on-Write )
functionality. The Filesystem was basically a wrapper on Git with some
tweaking to allow versioning of individual files instead of directories. I
had a look at userlandFS and default I was thinking of implementing the IMAP
filesystem using userlandFS. Do you think that is wise? I  could not find
much documentation on userlandFS so  if someone could help, that'd be great.
I'm currently going through the book on filesystem design by Dominic
Giampaolo . I have an inkling that the userlandFS implementation would be a
preliminary step and eventually i would have to write a kernel level
implementation.

Comments and feedback wou;d be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Anshul