[openbeos] Re: GSoC ICMP implementation

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 11:52:36 +0100

Hi Alan,

Salvatore Benedetto wrote:
> first of all welcome, and nice to hear you are interested in Haiku.

Seconded! Great to hear from the first student! Welcome!

> On 22/03/2008, Alvarez, Alan SPC MIL USA FORSCOM
> <alan.alvarez@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> >     My name is Alan Alvarez and I am planning to apply for the
> >     "Implement ICMP error handling and propagation" GSoC project.
> >
> >  I've been reading the network stack code for the past couple of hours
> >  and already have a basic understanding of it. I just started reading
> >  the rfc listed on the tickets associated with the project idea and it
> >  seems like I shouldn't have too much trouble implementing this.
>
> Actually, if I recall correctly, another student last year tried to
> accomplish the same task and had many problems. The main problem if I'm
> not mistaken was to accomplish this task in a object oriented way. But
> this student mentor might give you better info.

AFAIK, the basic problem was that he didn't have the time he thought he
would have.

> >  I have a questions about the implementation for the error report
> >  mechanism:
> >
> >  - For reporting errors wouldn't it be ideal to use the
> >  net_protocols::error function that already exists? I'm not sure if the
> >  arguments that exist will be enough, I'd appreciate any ideas.
> >   For replying to errors the ip, tcp and udp modules could use the
> >   icmp_protocol's error_reply when actually needed too.

IIRC, these functions were introduced exactly for this purpose. Axel will
probably tell you more.

> >  For this of course, each protocol would have to check if the other
> >  protocol module is loaded. I didn't check if there is a way to do
> >  this, but I assume there is.
> >
> >  I plan to prepare my proposal in the next day or two. Is there anyone
> >  that would be willing to review it before I actually send it through
> >  the webapp?

Yes, we will do our best to help you with that.

Best regards,
-Stephan