[haiku] Re: GP

  • From: haiku-kat <haiku-kat@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 12:11:02 -0700

With regards to Gobe Productive, strictly speaking from the outside, I would
not hold out much hope.

Even with regards to the Windows version, the gobe.com site has been
"temporarily unavailable" for nearly two weeks and much of gobe.in (site from
Blue Lotus Group, the GP India distributor) is broken.

While I've little interest in using OOo, it would not be harmful to at least
have it available on the Haiku platform.  Even Mac OS X users had to settle for
X11 for the official version in its first years.

Much work would be needed for a native AbiWord (GPL software) port.  I looked
into this briefly a few months ago with someone else.  Dependencies were
numerous, the BeOS port code either lost, non-functional or superseded by
changes in AbiWord 2.x codebase.  In my estimation even the BeOS "release" is
not in a stable, useable form on R5.  AbiWord does not appear to have a very
vibrant development ecosystem with a variety of ports having fallen by the
wayside.

Initial design work has begun on the backend for Haiku native office software
currently planned to be MIT licensed.

dru