[openbeos] Re: Drivers

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 15:57:11 +0100

Hi DarkWyrm :)

Although I'm not from the Kernel Team, I am involved in several ways
with NewOS and I thought I might just as well comment on this. There is
a "BeOS Compatibility Layer" in NewOS already, which makes it possible
to load and use some BeOS drivers already. This layer needs some work
and I guess Travis leaves this up to OpenBeOS to do or not to do. It is
really pretty simple to extend, and if we put enough effort in there,
we can make it work for almost all drivers.

This means, that anyone who =5Fwants=5F to use drivers from BeOS (which we
cannot ship with OBOS, IMHO) he could try and see if it works. However,
if we want to be able to extend the OS, we need the driver source, so
all drivers that =5Fcan=5F be rewritten for NewOS (read: has public
datasheets / source) should be implemented as such, as it will improve
performance in a lot of cases.

So yes, a certain level of BeOS drivers will work, but we'll need to do
some work on that, and test heavily. Preferred way (if at all possible)
is implement the drivers natively....

Regards,

Ithamar.