[haiku] Re: Deskbar auto-raise

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 04:29:15 +0100 CET

Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 6:22 AM, Urias McCullough
> <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I rather like it on, personally :)

I´m guessing that having it turned off is a
better default, as people are likely to be
more annoyed by stolen focus (if they like
me occasionally fling the pointer in Deskbar´s
direction) than by having to click Deskbar to
raise it/show it fully.

(In Deskbar´s default placement its hardly
inaccessible, and even in other placements it´s
not impossible to send to back the covering
window.)

It would be better fix the real issue;
why it gets covered in the first place.

> The Deskbar could come to front for only as
> long as the mouse pointer is hovering above it,
> and then return to the previously active app.

That wouldn´t fix my beef with Deskbar auto-raise.
Granted, it would save me a click to restore focus
to Firefox, but the interruption would still happen
now-and-again until I turn auto-raise off or learn
not to fling the mouse at Deskbar unless I mean to
use it.

I think Deskbar should adhere to the default
policy of click-to-raise(-and-focus).

BTW, I don´t use FFM. (I imagine a majority of
people out there don´t even know what it is.)
I´m sure you FFM users have more controlled
mouse usage than I have.

/Jonas.