[haiku] Core libraries / package management

  • From: Zenja Solaja <solaja@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 06:46:31 +0100

Hi all.

Even though I'm not an active developer (with the exception of 3dmov and a
handful of patches, I'm ashamed that I didn't do more), I'm just throwing an
observation into the community before disappearing under my rock again.
 Over on the development mailing list there is talk about the damages caused
by an update of libcurl, and how a point release broke so many apps.  This
is the sort of thing we used to mock Linux with - the never ending
dependancy "whack-a-mole" game.  During the great package management debate
of 2011, so many users (not developers) were very vocally against package
management, for the very same reason libcurl demonstrated.  The only time
package management works is when the packages are strictly controlled by the
core developers.  Any other package / library which is not a core component,
doesn't belong on a Haiku distribution.  If Haiku adopts this policy (core
component), they we have to rethink why we even need a package management
system?  Core components ship with the base install of an OS, it's not
optional.  Effectively, Haiku doesn't need a "officially supported" package
management system.  What it does need is an update of core components
mechanism.

Anyhow, great work creating Haiku.  And if my business/work/family give me a
couple of free hours of month, I'll see if I can create 3dmix to go along
with 3dmov.

Cheers.
Zenja