[openbeos] Re: Choosing The Browser

  • From: "Joakim Lundborg" <cjl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 21:12:44 +0100 (CET)

Well, actually, this is exactly what I meant with my little point about
NetOptimist. Nobody from our side should be telling anyone what to do.
But we do need to cooperate.

I'm not sure about you others, but I see the OBOS project as a
collaborative effort to create something we want: the operating system
of the future. We are not attempting to recreate a complex system
architecture just for the fun of it. We want to be able to use this
ourselves.

But, of course, it *is* fun to create something magnificent together. I
love the feeling of being part of creating something that I want to
use. I love the feeling that there are people out there who will
greatly appreciate our efforts. That's why I'm here, anyway.

What I meant by contacting is obviously not telling anyone what to do,
but to tell developers that they have our support, and we want them to
join in creating the ultimate computing experience. If this is not the
intent of that particular developer, we're basicly just lucky he's
creating what we need.

Also, I think that any browser project supported by the OBOS project
should be subject for debate, just as I should be able to say what I
think about the kernel, printer=5Fkit or whatever. Even if I'm not a
kernel or printer=5Fkit developer. This might be a great adjustment from
a hobby project, but if we are going to get a good browser I think this
is neccessary.

This project was also started to keep the BeOS alive, and save it from
dying just because the people in charge decides that it is not
profitable anymore. I personally believe that it is not a good idea to
rely on a single hobby developer for such an integral pert of the
operating system. Hobbyistst projects maintained by single individuals
tend to be even more vulnenarble to "code rot" than those of companies.
And we saw what happened to Be. We need to cooperate on this, because
we need that browser.

To make myself clear, I don't think we should not tell anyone what to
do, we should ask politely if some browser developers would like to
join our cause, and passa long our views on a good BeOS native browser.
They wouldn't neccessarily have to be a part of OBOS, but we need to be
sure that the browser won't die on us.

Maybe I will draw a lot of flak from this, but this is how I see it.

>This post and other posts seem to have completely missed my point
about =3D
>contacting the browser developers, assembling them into a team, and =3D
>letting THEM choose the browser they are going to work on.  Now maybe
we =3D
>don't want that.  Maybe we want to mandate the project and then try to
=3D
>convince them to work on it, but come on, folks.  That's not going to
=3D
>work.  We all do this development as a hobby.  You are only motivated
to =3D
>work on something that YOU think is cool and fun.  The reason you are
on =3D
>the net=5Fserver or Kernel team is because that is what you were most =3D
>interested in or thought was the funnest.  (Yes, I'm sure there are
the =3D
>dedicated few who might be best at kernel stuff so they agreed to be
on =3D
>the kernel team since noone else could do it, even though in their
heart =3D
>they would REALLY love to be doing OpenGL stuff.  To those people, I =3D
>thank you deeply.)
>
>My point is: we can't decide the Browser project, and then expect all
=3D
>the browser developers who were not even a part of this project to =3D
>abandon their favorite project to do what we tell them to do.  I
believe =3D
>the only way they will be willing to abandon their own pet projects
and =3D
>focus on, finish, and *polish* ONE browser is for THEM to be the ones
to =3D
>decide which browser they will work on.
>
>Of course I have my personal preference as to which browser *I* would
=3D
>like to see worked on, but that's not relevant because I'm not =3D
>volunteering my time to do the work.  :-)
>Anyway, that's my humble thought.  You don't have to agree with me.  :
-)