[haiku] Call for testers -- Beceem WiMAX / 4G

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku ML <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 09:48:35 -0500

Good morning!

I have been hacking away at an early Haiku WiMAX device driver for about two weeks now... There are early GPL'ed Beceem device drivers in the Linux staging tree I am using as a reference.

As WiMAX / 4G is an IEEE standard(802.16e), supporting these devices won't be ISP specific and would introduce new wireless conectivity options for Haiku systems deployed globally.

WiMAX requires more then just hardware support however, we would also need to impliment a daemon/server to handle authinication (EAP is common). The daemon would need to work generically across devices (which linux doesn't even have at the moment).

Having a reference device to create the daemon/server will be important.

I am calling for anyone who has a few spare minutes of time and one of the 4G/WiMAX devices below to try out the USB Beceem WiMAX driver in it's current state to provide much-needed chipset test data.

Known Beceem device list:

 Ubee USB PXU1900 (clear) -- tested, my dev device
 https://www.clear.com/shop/devices/devicedetails/equipment_id/55/

 Ubee USB PXU1901 (sprint)  -- should work? need testers.
http://shop.sprint.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplayPhones?phoneSKU=PCD19014G

Franklin? USB U300 (sprint) -- Beceem wimax chipset.. need testers. need usb vendor/device info http://support.sprint.com/support/device/Sprint/3G4G_USB_Modem_U300-franklin_u300

Franklin? USB U301 (sprint) -- Beceem wimax chipset.. need testers. need usb vendor/device info http://support.sprint.com/support/device/Sprint/U301USB_Device_Sprint_3G4G_Mobile_Broadband-dvc1020001prd

Franklin USB U600 (sprint) -- Beceem wimax chipset.. need testers. need usb vendor/device info http://shop.sprint.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplayPhones?phoneSKU=FWU6003G4G

 Any other not listed Beceem USB devices you may have.

Requirements:
* Haiku GCC4 install (GCC2 is still untested but on my todo list)
* A device above

Basic information needed:
* Your device's USB vendor and device id
* Your device's model and any identifying marks

Extended information needed:
* I can provide a compiled driver and instructions.
* The output of syslog upon plugging in the device.

Here is an example on my Haiku test box with debugging on:
http://dev.haiku-os.org/attachment/ticket/6698/beceem_10.19.2010.jpg

Here is the ticket I am tracking my progress in: (please don't post bug reports into this ticket or on Haiku's bug tracker until if/when the sources are accepted)
http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/6698

If you are interested and have the needed hardware, please feel free to email me directly off-list.

--

Thanks!
 -- Alex von Gluck