[openbeos] C++ Compatibility

  • From: "Scott MacMaster" <scottmacmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 18:57:24 PST (-0800)

I really like some features in C++.  Like the type casting operators,
classes, and other things.  Unfortunately, I can't tell gcc to make
sure I do these things correctly...well, I can but if I do I'll get
hundreds apon hundreds of warnings about non-c++ ways of doing things
from withen the system header files.  If you properly include the c++
headers (the ones with no file extention) you should not get these
warnings.

It may seem like I want to code according to the c++ styles because
it's the "proper way to code" however I understand how following these
standards helps to prevent hard to find/fix bugs by having the compiler
spot mistakes.

I would like to request that the wonderful coders of OpenBeOS make sure
that the header files follow the c++ standards where possible.

The biggest problems that I noticed are these:
        -Not using the c++ type casting operators
        -Copy constructor missing if there are pointer data types in the
class
        -Not using the initializer list in the constructors of classes

Thanks,
Scott MacMaster
www.CodeLiege.com